21/02/2017

EXPRESSING CONTRAST



EXPRESSING CONTRAST

ALTHOUGH, THOUGH, EVEN THOUGH
We use them to connect contrasting ideas, introducing a dependent clause.

ALTHOUGH

After although we use a sentence (subject+verb+complements). We can use 'although' at the beginning or in the middle of a sentence.
e.g. Although it rained a lot, we enjoyed our holiday.
                   I didn’t get the job although I had the necessary qualifications.

THOUGH

Sometimes we use though instead of although.
e.g. I didn’t get the job though I had the necessary qualifications.
In spoken English we often use though at the end of a sentence.
e.g. I see them every day. I’ve never spoken to them though (= but I’ve never spoken to them)

EVEN THOUGH

It’s a stonger form of although.
e.g. Even though I was really tired, I couldn’t sleep.

HOWEVER
We can use it to indicate that the second point we wish to make contrasts with the first point.
It introduces or completes a contrasting sentence. However always has punctuation before and after. It’s usually placed in initial position.
e.g. I got up late. However, I got to work on time.


 NOW PRACTISE THE USE OF ALTHOUGH, BUT AND HOWEVER DOING THE FOLLOWING EXERCISE:

 ALTHOUGH, BUT OR HOWEVER?
       

No comments: