Here you are the key to the READING exercise on pages 70-71.
a. Tchaikovsky was from Russia and was a composer of classical music.
c. The place where he composed: his bedroom (photo 3)
The place where he wrote letters: the sitting room and study (photo 2)
His favourite place: the garden (photo 1)
d. 1. Maidanovo: the village where Tchaikovsky rented a small house after leaving Moscow; it was full of tourists and visitors and this is why he later moved to the house in Klin.
2. The Pathétique symphony: he wrote it in the house in Klin.
3. Alexei: he was Tchaikovsky's servant and lived on the ground floor of the house.
4. Lilies of the valley: Tchaikovsky's brother planted thousand of lilies in the garden after Tchaikovsky's death as Tchaikovsky adored flowers, particularly lilies of the valley.
5. Doroshenko: he was an anrchist who lived in Tchaikovsky's house after the Bolshevik Revolution. People say he shot at a painting in one of the bedrooms.
6. The International Tchaikovsky Competition:the winner goes to Klin, plays on Tchaikovsky's piano, and plants a tree in his garden.
e. 1. tidy 2. remain 3. overlooking 4. hanging 5. turn into 6. plain 7. property 8. bookcase